Virtual Careers Fairs: Jobs in the Legal Sector

Blog

The Careers Centre at the University of Leeds organized a virtual fair for students and alumni consisting of an extensive range of companies offering job opportunities in the legal sector. This event was held on the 26th of October and ran from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm.  

Atiyah:  

Having completed my degree in Sociology and Social Policy, I was a little sceptical and unsure of what to expect of the event, thinking that it would be most relevant to those who have studied a degree like Law and least useful for someone like me. Despite my hesitation, I decided to book a one-to-one session with three different organizations; Search Consultancy, Addleshaw Goddard and the Crown Prosecution Service 

Having attended the Volunteering Opportunities fair previously I was quite comfortable with accessing the virtual fair and the sessions were easy to set up, enabling me to select times that worked best with my schedule.  

I can safely say that I was pleasantly surprised and quite pleased with the information that I gathered from the fair. Not only was I given the opportunity to discuss job opportunities with leading law firms like Addleshaw and Goddard but my session with a representative from the Crown Prosecution Service was extremely fruitful. All three organizations had approachable, well-informed, and patient representatives who were willing to answer all my questions, the first question being that ‘jobs in the legal sector’ can relate to a variety of professions and degree qualifications. It was useful to learn that several large organizations like the Crown Prosecution Service offer several apprenticeship opportunities throughout the year, setting out a clear career path that allows for personal and professional growth and development. In addition to this, it was useful to learn of the application process and the steps that would need to be completed before selection.

Similarly, Search Consultancy was able to answer many questions regarding the type of roles that they offered, aiding my understanding of the company and its main aims. I was able to take this information away and use it to contemplate some of the career choices I have been considering. With the information gathered from the fair I was also able to widen my search and look at potential career prospects in the legal sector, one that I had previously neglected.  

While I enjoyed the fair immensely and thought it to be highly informative and useful, I do feel as though I could have maximized on the opportunity to meet such great organizations by conducting some individual research on companies of my choice before the actual day. This would have given me the chance to meet with more organizations, ensuring I had made the most of the day. Overall, it was an enormous success, and I am most definitely looking forward to attending more of the events held and organized by the Careers Centre here at the University of Leeds. 

Tracy: 

As a fourth-year PhD student, I believe there is no harm in knowing employment opportunities as much as possible, which is the reason why I signed up for this virtual fair event.  

During this event, several HR team members and current trainees from Addleshaw Goddard Group Booth answered all the questions from us individually, in which questions ranging from preparations for the application, the qualifications that are required for the application, the deadlines for the application, the application procedures, the available employment opportunities and personal job prospects. Those working staff from Addleshaw Goddard kindly had a one-on-one conversation with each of us and offered detailed information very much tailored to one’s background and circumstances. This is beneficial to us as chances to have a one-on-one conversation with professionals do not often come along.  

Questions that were asked and answered during this event go as follows. 

Q: I don't have a 2.1 at University, can I still apply? 

A: We will not automatically discount an application if this grade has not been gained. There is space on the application form to enter any details you may feel to be relevant, such as mitigating circumstances. Also, for current BPP students that don’t meet this requirement, we run the Legal Access Scheme – please contact your careers service for further information. Applicants should be aware that the competition for placement schemes and Training Contracts is fierce, and you will be competing against applicants who have achieved the requirement. Therefore, you should ensure that the rest of your application form provides us with the best reflection of yourself and your abilities. 

Q: When and how can apply for an Easter/Summer placement scheme? 

A: You need to submit the online application form between 1 October and 6 January. We will not accept CVs, speculative enquiries or other standard application forms. 

Q: When and how can I apply for a Training Contract? 

A: You need to submit the online application form between 1 April and 31 July.  

Q: I want to take a gap year; will this be seen as a disadvantage in my application to Addleshaw Goddard? And when should I be applying in this case? 

A: Taking a gap year would not be seen as a disadvantage in your application to Addleshaw Goddard. You should be applying for a training contract two years prior to when you will be ready to commence a training contract. 

Q: Do you offer paralegal vacancies? 

A: We do employ paralegals for our Transaction Services Team. Vacancies are advertised on our website. 

Q: What if I have some extra information I would like adding to my application once I have submitted it - for example exam results or work experience? 

A: Once you have submitted your form we will accept updated additions only to work experience or academic results as long as we receive them before the deadlines. These must be emailed to grad@addleshawgoddard.com. If you wish to amend your personal or contact details, these must be emailed to grad@addleshawgoddard.com. 

Q: How many times can I apply? 

A: We accept one application per intake year. You can either apply for our 2021 Placement Scheme/2023 Training Contract or 2023 Direct Training Contract. You can also only apply for one location so please ensure you have decided where you would like to be based before applying. 

Q: Do you offer financial assistance? 

A: Yes, if offered a training contract we will sponsor your GDL/LPC/Diploma and provide you with a maintenance grant. We don’t however pay fees retrospectively. 

This virtual fair event is helpful to students not only because it provides us with a great opportunity to have a one-on-one conversation with professionals from the industry but also because we can receive advice tailored to our background and personal circumstances. Also, students without a legal education background can also apply for some roles offered by Addleshaw Goddard, which definitely expands our options for job hunting!