International Travel during COVID-19: A Guide based on my Experiences

Blog

The Covid-19 pandemic has made many things we used to take for granted extremely difficult, particularly international travel. I have been a part of a very small group of the global population which was allowed to travel internationally during the pandemic because I am a resident of two countries: the USA where I am from, and the UK where I study. Because I have dual residency I have made two voyages across the Atlantic this year - once in December and most recently this past June. This blog is a travel guide for students seeking to enter the UK based on my personal experience.

Travel Experience

I decided to travel home in early June due to a combination of fortunate circumstances; firstly I finished my university deadlines on May 17th (earlier than most students). I travelled to attend my younger sister’s high school graduation, visit my family, and receive my Covid-19 vaccine. I was only able to do so due to several factors which fell into place. These included the fact that I was able to afford the additional costs that are required for travel during the pandemic (PCR fit-to-fly testing) and that the region where my family lives in the U.S. is currently one of the most vaccinated and safest areas in the world.

I flew with Icelandair, an airline I have used regularly since before the pandemic. However my trip through Heathrow and eventually through Reykjavik was peculiar compared to before Covid-19; the airport was nearly deserted and social distancing reminders were plastered to nearly every surface. Facemasks were required to be worn at all times including on my flight (with the exception to eat and drink) and every passenger was given a packet containing an anti-bacterial wipe, hand sanitiser and a spare mask upon boarding. With the exception of the plane being underpopulated and the mask rule, the majority of my trip was not too far out of the ordinary.

In order for me to travel home to the U.S., I needed to take a PCR Covid-19 test no longer than three calendar days before my flight. I flew on Tuesday, June 1st and took my Covid test on Saturday May 29th. PCR and other Antigen tests are required: rapid tests which yield lower efficacy rates are almost never accepted by airlines or border control, so be sure to make sure the test you take is considered “Fit-to-fly.”
I tested at the earliest possible time because these tests are highly accurate and must be sent to a laboratory to be tested. Because of this, the time which one will receive their results can vary from 24-72 hours, almost always occurring in my experience a day or two after the test has been administered. I am fortunate that the U.S. state department changed their ruling from a 72 hour timeframe to 3 calendar days in order to provide greater flexibility to travellers to account for the fact that tests may be delayed. While most countries are still operating with the 72 hour rule, the U.K. has modified it to the three days prior to your journey as well. Therefore if you travel on Friday, you can be tested the preceding Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.

If this sounds complicated and by reading it you feel overwhelmed, do not worry, because it is very complex! Thus I’ll be outlining a brief guide based on my and other international student’s experiences for travelling during Covid. Visit the entering England during coronavirus page for an up to date UK travel information.
The first step for a traveller coming to the U.K. is to identify which coding their country of origin is considered by the U.K.’s border force. These are split into three different categories and have unique restrictions pertaining to them:

Green List countries 

Travellers will be required to:
- Produce a negative Covid test within 3 days of their departure to the U.K.
- Book and pay for a Day 2 Covid test.
- Complete a passenger locator form.
Countries on the Green list only require a PCR test before leaving for the U.K. as well as a Day 2 test upon arrival. Before travellers leave for the U.K. they must visit gov.uk to see a list of private companies which offer a Covid-19 test (to be taken on their 2nd day) to be delivered to their residence or hotel. It is imperative that the traveller book their PCR Fit-to-Fly test within 72 hours of their departure (bear in mind if you are flying and connecting with a layover this must be the flight which will enter the U.K. itself, not the first or second flight you may take to connect to mentioned flight) as well as book their Day 2 test prior to travelling. If you test negative with the Day 2 test, you do not need to quarantine any longer in the U.K.! If you fail to produce a PCR test and proof of your confirmation for the Day 2 test you will not be allowed to travel.

Amber List countries

Currently the largest list, these are countries that the U.K. government recommends against travelling to, but is usually possible if the traveller is a resident of both nations. Travellers must:
- Book and pay for a Day 2 AND Day 8 Covid test.
- Complete a passenger locator form.
The USA as of now is on this list, thus when I return to Leeds I will be completing these steps. The only difference between Green and Amber countries is that Amber travellers must book two tests for when they enter the U.K., and even if they test negative on day 2 must complete a 10 day quarantine. If you’re caught breaking quarantine, there are fines of up to £10,000 which can be levied against you.

Red List Countries

These are currently the most afflicted countries according to the U.K. government, and require the most extreme precautions. Travellers must:
- Book and pay for a quarantine hotel package, including 2 Covid-19 tests.
- Complete a passenger locator form.
Travellers from these countries must fly into one of the following airports: Heathrow Airport Gatwick Airport, London City Airport, Birmingham Airport, Bristol Airport and Farnborough Airport. Upon entry you will be escorted to a quarantine hotel by the Border Force, and the cost for one adult in one room will be £1,750.
My general advice for students travelling to the U.K. in the coming months is as follows. If you are able, book your PCR test as close to the 3 day window to your departure to the U.K. as possible. This will give you the most time to receive your test result barring any delays, and will not incur any difficulty when entering the U.K. with the border force.

Test to Release advice

If you travel from an Amber list country, you may have the option to “test to release” on the 5th day of isolation. If you test negative on your day 2 test, you will have the option to pay for an additional test on day 5. By taking this test on day 5, upon receiving a negative test result the individual is immediately able to leave their isolation period. However if you elect to opt into the test to release scheme, you are still obligated to take and submit your day 8 test as well.

Updated Information Regarding EU and US Fully Vaccinated Travellers

Recently due to restrictions being relaxed in England, now all fully vaccinated travellers coming from the European Union and the United States no longer need to quarantine upon arrival if they are travelling from an Amber list country. Fully vaccinated travellers (these include any vaccines approved in the EU or US) are still subject to Green list country rules, meaning travellers still must complete a pre-departure test and test on day 2 after their arrival.

Conclusion

As the pandemic continues across the globe, travel still remains uncertain and subsequently the restrictions reflect this. However the U.K. and England have made significant progress by vaccinating the population, allowing for restrictions to steadily decline. This coming academic year hopes to bring a measured and partial return to normalcy, and I am optimistic as a Leeds student that University life is slowly but surely returning to its former status. While the restrictions I enumerated above are subject to constant change, I still highly recommend checking with the Government’s official advice before making travel plans to England. With that being said, I hope I have been able to help you make some sense of the travel requirements currently in place. Hopefully we will see you in Leeds soon!

Safe travels !