Corina: my placement year at TWDC

Blog

Hi, I'm Corina! I'm a third-year Digital Media student at the University of Leeds, and I'm currently working as a Design Intern for FOX and National Geographic EMEA, under the Walt Disney Company.

My day to day responsibilities

I work as part of the in-house creative and design team, where I primarily create motion graphics for on-air promos, social media, and channel branding across a wide range of projects and platforms. Other responsibilities include optimising on-air deliverables and graphic packages, and re-versioning assets from either UK or the US (Global) for international airing in Europe.

Despite being just an intern, I've managed to take charge of my own projects, which not only allowed me to express my creativity but to also learn how to pitch to senior creatives and to be fully involved in the overall design process from conception to delivery. I'm glad to say I've been able to work on promos and campaigns for some of the biggest shows on television, including The Walking Dead, War of the Worlds, NCIS, Running Wild with Bear Grylls, and Car S.O.S.

I'm also able to do work outside of my department, including volunteering to raise money for MediCinema as part of the Disney Moment Makers Intern programme, participate in various training sessions, virtual coffee breaks with the other interns in different business teams, and even help redesign the Women@Disney BERG branding.

In the past six months, I've helped work on 85+ different projects which I think is an incredible feat on its own. Below are some projects I've had the most fun working on in the past few months:

Settling into the 9-5 and WFH during Covid-19

I've previously written on how I managed to secure a placement in this blog, 'How I secured a placement as an international student'. Initially, I was due to start in early July 2020. However, due to the ongoing pandemic that peaked last year, my placement was postponed to an early September start. Coming in, I was really excited for my first fancy "office" job, but at the same time, I was also really nervous. My two years of university comprised of late-night study sessions, unhealthy sleeping patterns, and leaving projects to the last minute - working a 9-5 job for 5 days a week seemed quite daunting early on. While it did take some time to adjust, I finally managed to settle into this newfound structure after a few weeks in.

Given the current circumstances, I haven't been able to come to the office throughout my placement so far. Fortunately, Disney had the tools necessary to allow their intern cohort this year to start working remotely. I think my senior managers and the rest of the team have done a great job in ensuring that my role and the support I would be given are similar to what it would have been if I were to go into the office. While I did move to London in late August, I am still able to work full time from the comfort of my own home, and with the likes of Zoom and BOX, the work still gets managed to be done.

While I have yet to meet my team in person, it's really been a heck of a time. Being able to shadow and work alongside such hardworking colleagues working with unbelievable efficiency and competence has been such an eye-opening experience. Everyone gets along really well, and there's a genuine sense of comradery within our many Zoom calls. They’re always willing to lend a hand and constantly reassure me that there's no such thing as a stupid question - after all, it's a lot better for someone on the team to hop on a Zoom with me to explain things through, rather than letting me be stuck on something for a week barely making any progress. Not only that, they urge me to take breaks when I seem tired or burnt out. Especially in lockdown, there is an emphasis on self-care and taking the time to do things right. They value me for more than my work; they value me as a person.

Some lessons learnt

While I haven't finished the finish line on my placement just yet, I've learned quite a bit I’ve been creating a lot of graphics for FOX and National Geographic, which has not only been fun but practical as it’s teaching me how to work within the brand's style guide. As I work on more projects, the more I learn how to balance between working with a consistent visual brand identity and my own personal creative expression to make each project unique.

Working with editors is also certainly a delight and a new experience for an intern like me. Especially with how fast the broadcast industry moves, I have to instantly understand the vibe of the video edit and animate a motion piece to communicate the segments in their cut within the given timeframe. There are times where I'll be given a week or so to finish a project and other times where I'll have to deliver a project by the end of the day. The turnaround is definitely a lot faster than most projects at university, and at times can be quite stressful, but it's been an enjoyable learning experience nevertheless.

However, I think the biggest lesson I've learned (and one that's the hardest to put into practice) is being confident in my own ideas, especially when it comes to pitching my creative thoughts to the team. While there were certain brand guidelines I had to follow, I was given a lot of creative freedom by my manager in all the projects that I'm involved in. It was highly uncomfortable in the beginning because I wanted direction from someone who was senior and more experienced than me, and I’d always have that sinking feeling that I wasn't good enough to be on the team in the first place. However, after a few months into my placement, I eventually learned that my manager was teaching me how to become an independent designer who can think for herself and stand up for her own ideas, rather than just following the lead of someone else.

Some final thoughts

Funnily enough, I feel like I've had more of a "design school" experience rather than in university. I've learned an awful lot about design in the television/broadcast industry that I wouldn't be able to in a regular class. Being able to combine what I've learned from the Digital Media course at uni with a work placement has led to one of the most valuable learning experiences and is definitely a highlight of my time at university.

I truly cannot put into words how many great opportunities have come from being a part of the FOX and National Geographic EMEA team. Despite the current circumstances, I have loved my time working at Walt Disney so far and I'm extremely grateful to experience something like this so early in my career. My team and the projects I get to work on are just so amazing and I'm looking forward to making the most out of my last few months here. For students who are considering doing a placement year, I highly recommend you do it because it really is a year where you will grow exponentially.

If you have any questions about my placement year, please don't hesitate to contact me at corina-link@leeds.ac.uk.