Black History Month

Blog

Black History Month is dedicated to recognizing and celebrating the contributions that people of African and Caribbean backgrounds have made to UK. It lasts for the entirety of the month of October and is an excellent time for individuals like myself (and maybe those reading this) to educate ourselves on important matters like race, and acknowledge the fact that the history of Black people, their struggles, and their achievements have been left out and ignored for a very long time.

The Black Lives Matter movement that took place earlier in the year stands as a stark reminder that racism is extremely prevalent in everyday society and is not something that can be brushed aside but is in fact an issue that needs to be tackled. A particular campaign that stood out to me, was the ‘#sharethemic’ campaign that seeks to amplify the voices of Black women across the UK. After having looked at this campaign, I learnt that there are several aspects to consider when looking at racism, of which I was not aware of. I spent most of the day scrolling through Instagram and learning about the various industries, large corporations and businesses that under-represent Black Women. It was also through this that I was able to learn about a number of inspiring Black women, that have been ignored or left out of history. One particular woman that stood out to me was Mary Seacole, a strong Black Jamaican woman who dedicated her life to nursing and caring for the wounded during the Crimean war. She became known as ‘Mother Seacole’. This goes to show that there are several key Black figures many of whom are disregarded and ignored in history, and we should use this month as an opportunity to do more actively engage with Black history.

Another Black Woman who I find to be extremely inspirational is Chimamanda Adichie – Nigerian Author whose work has always stood out to me. Her book ‘Americanah’ set in Nigeria, America and the UK, is nothing short of phenomenal. It looks at America’s attempts to reconcile itself with its past through the experiences of a Nigerian Student studying and living in America. If you’re looking for something to start the month of with, I would strongly suggest reading this, it is both eye-opening and gripping. She is able to shed light on the harsh realities of living in the west as an ‘immigrant’, stressing the importance of the very month we are discussing.

I strongly believe that as an international student studying at a university that works to, create an environment that is safe for all races and celebrate the achievements and progress of all students regardless of their skin colour, it is our duty to ensure that we are well aware of the issues in our society, as this is the first step towards tackling the problem. As we work towards completing our degrees and pursuing our careers, we must challenge the racism that is widespread in the workplace whilst creating a space that recognizes the role that the Black community play in creating the very society that we live in and one that celebrates diversity. We have to be a part of the solution and not the problem.

We need to remember that standing up against all forms of racism, injustice and discrimination is something that we should be doing continuously. We are not limited to the month of October but in fact should use this opportunity to educate ourselves and those arounds us on the impact that Black people have had and continue to have on the UK. Participating in the events that will be taking place over the next few weeks, reading books about race, watching documentaries, listening to podcasts and supporting more Black influencers and businesses are just the few ways in which you can make use of Black History Month.

I have included some links and resources that I think would be useful to look at:

- BBC- Black History Month 2020: What is it?
- Short Instagram video on Mary Seacole 
- Black History Month UK national website 
- UK Black History Month: 3 Black British Muslims you should know about
- #sharethemic on Instagram