Visiting "The EDGE" (Campus Gym) With The New Restrictions

Blog

The Edge, the sports and physical activity centre at the University of Leeds, reopened its facilities in September 7th. As a current member and Zumba instructor I had the opportunity to visit different areas such as the swimming pool, fitness suite, studios and sport halls.

Due to the current pandemic and as many people have shown concern about how safe and organized this coming back has been, I decided to share my experience on the new measures that have been taken by The Edge.

1. Prior to my visit, I booked online the activity or facility, whose capacity has been regulated to fulfil with safety guidelines.

2. When I arrived, while wearing my face mask, I sanitized my hands at the entrance and walked to the reception, where a very well protected staff member confirmed by booking. In the case of the swimming pool they also indicated a changing cubicle number, exclusive to the swimming area, as all other changing rooms, lockers, and showers remain closed.

3. Except for the halls, swimming pool, studios and fitness suite, a face mask should be worn in all corridors where a one-way route has been designated. Fortunately, everything was signalized to avoid any confusion.

4. Several sanitising stations have been allocated for cleaning the equipment or class material after its utilization.

5. For the classes, both the halls and studios have been divided into symmetric squares so the participants can keep their social distance while enjoying any activity. Likewise, some areas of the fitness suite were delimited for its individual usage.

6. Water fountains are only allowed for refilling water bottles, as part of the new rules.

7. Once my class or time finished, I left the facility by following the designated one-way exit route.

So far, my experience has been very comforting, safe and enjoyable, and I enjoyed coming back to my fitness life at The Edge. If you want to know more about the memberships, activities and measures in place access the Edge website here.