My 6 Week Pre-Sessional Course Experience For Postgraduate Students

Written by Myunghee Sim

I remember vividly when I chose the 6 weeks pre-sessional course and arrived in the UK. I left my home country, Korea on the first weekend of August and started taking the course the next Monday. The reason why I chose the pre-sessional course was to improve my English skills, learn how to write academic writing, and settle down before the start of my master course.

The pre-sessional course was divided into morning and afternoon classes, with 2 to 3 hours each. I had learned about genre analysis, writing process, critical review, academic integrity, organising seminar and presentation skills for 6 weeks. I learned the necessary academic skills which helps me a lot in postgraduate course. As an international student, I had never had experience of British Education before. For example, I had no concept of quotation or plagiarism. It was good to learn more through the course. I am able to apply the reference based on what I learned during the course when I have written my essay and assignments.

Another reason I chose the pre-sessional course was that I wanted to adjust to life in the UK before I started my postgraduate course. It takes time to settle down at a new place away from family and friends. It may seem simple, but it has also been a great help to me because I was very concerned about things like creating a bank account, registering with the GP, and buying home essentials, and so on. I could handle them step by step for 6 weeks. Getting used to life in the UK in advance brought the benefit of being able to focus on studying from the beginning of my master’s life.

During the pre-sessional course, various events were held at the Student Union(LUU). There were many opportunities to meet new friends and gain various experiences through many programs such as a global cafe, a tour of famous restaurants in Leeds, and a one-minute speech. I could talk and share ideas with friends from all over the world. I have never tried, but there was a program that allowed us to travel to the town near Leeds every weekend. I regret not being able to participate in weekend program in August when the weather was good.

6 weeks was really precious. I really miss the pre-sessional course because the classes are very tight once the postgraduate course begins. If there is a student who is not familiar with British Education like me, I strongly recommend pre-sessional course. You can get chances not only improving your academic English skills but also broadening your social horizon.

Author

Myunghee Sim
Hi, everyone !! My name is Myunghee and I’m currently studying MSc Climate Change & Environmental Policy at the University of Leeds. Before coming to Leeds, I studied civil engineering...
View profile