Part-time work and a Research Degree

Blog

Many of us international students coming to the University of Leeds are faced with a lot of new opportunities. We also want to try out many different aspects of university life. Taking up a part-time job is definitely high up the list of things students want to do. This is not only a fantastic way to support our studies financially, but it is also a great way to experience the unique work environment in the UK and gain new skills. However, it can be quite scary to try and find a part-time job while you are in a foreign country. One of the major worries a lot of the students have is the question of how to balance our studies with a job. How do you find a part-time job? Are my English skills good enough for me to get a job? Today, I would like to answer some of these questions by referencing some of my own experiences of juggling part-time jobs with my research degrees.

When I started my Masters degree at the University of Leeds, like most of you I was scared that I would not be able to keep up with my studies while doing a part-time job at the same time. Things were further complicated as I lived far out in a small village outside of Leeds, which meant that I would not be able to work in the city centre. I gave up on finding a part-time job during my first semester and focused on my studies.

However, I quickly found out that I was able to keep up with the workload and I was becoming desperate to try something new. That is why in my second semester, I decided to apply to be a Link to Leeds Ambassador working at the International Office at the University of Leeds. They were advertising a new position through the university website, and the accompanying candidate description fit me perfectly. Working for the university was also very reassuring as I knew I would have fantastic colleagues and the university would always allow me prioritise my studies over work.

You can find jobs offered at the university through many different sources. The Leeds University Union (LUU) has a website dedicated to finding jobs at the union. JobLink is situated inside the LUU building where they always have a staff there to help you find part-time work. I also recommend checking your university email and the university website called Minerva (which you will have access to once you are a student) as they will be advertising positions at the university open to students. Another reliable source is the Careers Centre at the University of Leeds. Once you are a student, you can login to their website and find vacancies both on and off campus. They also have information on internships and graduate positions.

Another way of finding a part-time job is going through UK job hunting website like Indeed (there are of course others, but this is the largest). I found a translation job through this website and was able to get the job after taking an online test. I have been able to hold two part-time jobs since doing a Masters degree as they both fit my needs perfectly. I can do both jobs from my home as they can be completed mostly online. I only have to work for 2 hours a week as a Link to Leeds Ambassador, and my translation work has no set time schedules.

As a research student, time management has gotten arguably even more challenging as you are left to study on your own for far longer periods of time. That said, I strongly believe that as long as you choose to take on jobs that fits your needs, your skills and your strengths, it is manageable. I recommend taking up a job that is either related to your own studies or the university, as you will be able to learn from your work and your employers will be understanding of the fact that your studies always come first.

Lastly, I want to talk a little about Leeds as a place to work. I do not personally work in Leeds for various reasons, such as the long commute and difficulty finding a job that fits my own research. However, Leeds is the second largest financial city aside from London and it has many job opportunities for students from the University of Leeds. Some courses at the university have placement opportunities, and the university’s Careers Centre has information on placements available exclusively to students from the university.

You can find more information on the websites mentioned throughout this blog through the links. I hope the information you find here is of some help for you to find a part-time job once you start your studies at the University of Leeds!

Sara Kaizuka
Link to Leeds Ambassador