Part-time Job Hunting as an Undergrad

Blog

Managing your assignments (not to mention doing ALL your readings), eating well, going to the gym, maintaining your social life and finding a part time job to cover your basic necessities (and the occasional online shopping spree) is what every university student dreams off...

It’s not long after you settle in and get your timetable that you realise searching for a part time job may not be as easy as you imagined it to be. Applying for jobs can be extremely time consuming and sometimes a little boring. You may find yourself continuously filling out applications with the same information over and over again, hearing no response until you want to throw your laptop out the window and forget about the new pair of earphones you were going to buy should you have found a job. While it can be difficult and frustrating, I’m going to give you a couple of tips on where you can find jobs, what you need to apply and what to expect when you finally do get called for an interview.

The first thing to remember as a student who has just started university is do not to pressure yourself (you’ve probably heard this before but it’s extremely important) and I say this from personal experience. The most important thing to remember is that you are there to learn and put all your effort (and thousands of tears) into getting that degree. If you feel as though you are struggling with attending lectures, cooking and taking time out then I strongly suggest waiting until you feel more confident with managing your time before you start applying, because I’ll tell you this - it isn’t easy nor is it a quick and smooth process.

Now that I’ve told you how difficult it can be, here are the few things I suggest you do before you begin your job-hunting journey:

Prepare a CV (This is a document detailing your personal information, achievements, and any skills and experience you may have). Whether you’re applying online or in person, most companies will require you to upload a copy of your CV and this is your chance to make a good first impression whilst your still sat in your pajamas with hair you haven’t brushed in three days.

The Career Centre at the University of Leeds offers lots of tips and tricks on how to write a good CV and you can even upload your CV to their website to receive instant feedback. They have a whole website dedicated to CVs and you can schedule appointments with someone that can help you tailor your CV for something more specific you're looking for. To get started, you can also read my fellow ambassadors', Anastasia, blog: 'A Guide to making a British CV'.

Apply for a national insurance number, most employers will ask you for your national insurance number as part of your application or once they’ve hired you. It’s free to apply for a national insurance number on this website.

When it comes down to actually applying, you want to make sure that you exhaust all the possible options and leave no stone unturned. You can apply for part-time positions through the Joblink office located in the Leeds University Union. This is an office dedicated to helping students find part time jobs that are flexible to their degree. They are great at finding part time jobs either in the university or around the city centre, they can also help you with finding internships that suit your interests.

As I mentioned, Joblink is located in Leeds University Union and this is another key place to look at when trying to find a job. The union is the perfect place to work as a student as you’re located directly on campus and this means that you can balance uni life while having a job and being a in a student friendly environment, whilst enjoying the extra perks that come with being a member of the union staff.

The university also offers a range of positions that allow you to work within the faculty that you are studying in, this is perfect for new students looking for a part time job that they can fit into their new and busy schedule. Additionally, the university also has positions with other offices around campus, such as the one I currently hold! My role as a Link to Leeds Ambassador involves being a point of contact for prospective international students interested in studying at Leeds. Since the beginning of my position as a Link to Leeds ambassador it has been nothing short of exciting interactions with various students. This position has given me the opportunity to meet new people and share my love for the university and the city with prospective students, but it’s the perfect job that has allowed me to work within the comfort of my own room (yes in my pajamas and unbrushed hair) and ensure that I am still staying on top of my lectures and readings (at least I think I am).

We can't talk about jobs without mentioning that the city centre in Leeds is made up of endless cafes, restaurants, bars and clothing stores. You may find that taking a couple of copies of your CV every time you head to one of the malls is particularly useful. A lot of these shops require part time staff, specifically during busy periods like the Christmas and Easter break. Applying for these in advance by showing them your interest is a good way to be proactive in planning for possible job prospects.

When you do finally get called for the interview you want to be prepared and the last thing you want to be worrying about is what you’re going to wear. I strongly suggest having a formal outfit ready to go, so that the day before your interview you can spend your mentally preparing for your big day. Often when you go for an interview, employers will ask that you take some documents to prove that you can work in the UK. These may include:

• BRP (Biometric Residence Permit) Card
  • Proof of address (this could be a letter confirming your contract at your chosen accommodation)
  • National Insurance Number
  • Passport
  • A copy of your CV (just in case)

Another thing I find extremely useful to do is spending some time to look through the employer’s website, doing some research into the company’s values and looking into the exact job description for the position and how this fits your skill set. It’s good to look through examples of interview questions to get an idea of what sort of questions to expect. I often find, practicing my answers in front of the mirror gives me a boost of confidence...if it is a really big interview, be sure to use the Career Services at the university to prepare you- they will mock interview you and help you research if you reach out to them.

Good luck and may be the odds be ever in your favour!