Global Community Virtual ‘Tea Party’

Blog

As an international medical student, who is currently still residing in Leeds, the current situation presents challenges and many of us feel quite isolated at this time, especially since many of my friends and family live in a different country. However, I was able to spend a lovely afternoon at an event hosted by the Faculty of Medicine & Health’s Global Community Virtual 'Tea Party,' which firstly involved adjusting to some technical difficulties, introducing myself to the participants, an informative open Q&A session with members of the academic and student support teams where I was able to voice out some questions I had simmering in me...and of course enjoying some lovely tea at the same time! This was an amazing opportunity where I was able to interact with the honourable head of departments and receive immediate answers and a great way to get to know the challenges other staff and students are facing from the sudden shift.

Some useful topics that were raised by us international students during the Q&A session covered:

• Q: Do I have to pay for treatment fees with the NHS as an international student?
    A: The government has confirmed that anyone needing testing or treatment for COVID-19 will not be charged by the NHS, even if they no longer have a valid visa for the UK.
  • Q: If the working restrictions have changed for international students?
    A: If you are still in the UK, you are not permitted to work more than the number of hours a week indicated on your BRP, except during the University vacation.
  • How we’re planning to start an online forum for us to share any useful resources to support each other such as exercise programmes, tips on how to work from home etc.

The faculties’ Global Community initiative was developed as a way of supporting our international students (UG/PGT/PGR) across Medicine and Health with a series of events that included food, support and fun. I have taken part in previous social events such as Fish and Chips Night, Afternoon Tea-Time and Bonfire Night where it was a great way to meet students and academics across the faculty from international backgrounds. I have made so many new friends through attending these events but I must say, this change in format seemed quite strange initially, but I think it will be a great way in to keep the engagement of international students from all across the world, whether they are still in Leeds or have return home. We are still able to come together to mingle online and have some fun. On this sunny day, I was thankful to gain some social interaction and support through this online group from the comfort of my home and I’m looking forward to attending more online events hosted by the Global Community Team.