One Night Full of Claps to the NHS

Blog

Loud cheering shouts and people’s applause broke the silence of one quiet evening on my street. It was not only on my street, the echo was heard throughout the UK! If I were a medical staff, I would’ve cried or at least had a goosebumps on my skin, listening how millions of people cheering for me 🙂

I've been doing social distancing for more than two weeks now. It is indeed a difficult time, given that I normally hang out with friends on the weekend and meeting with them on campus during the weekday. While doing the social distancing, I usually spend my day by reading, studying, working on my assignments, video-calling with family and friends, and making contents for my Instagram. Reading news is extremely important for me, although frankly, it gets me a headache to know how awful the outbreak situation is. Especially in the UK, as per March 27th, there are already more than 11,000 COVID19 cases!

The chart is undoubtedly concerning. As comparison, in Indonesia the population is 260 millions with COVID19 case has reached over 1,000 on March 27th. And I'm telling you, it hits the Indonesian economy really hard. People are freaking out. While in the UK, with the population is not even half of Indonesia – only 66 millions people – but the case is 11 times higher than Indonesia!

Healthcare is the most impacted aspect amid this COVID19 outbreak. Here in the UK, the National Health Service (NHS), the free healthcare for all Brits and immigrants here in the UK, is opening recruitment for 750,000 volunteers to help them respond to this outbreak. It is amazing to know that there have been 500,000 people signed up for it! Nearly 12,000 recently retired the NHS staff even came forward to help the institution to take care of the patients and the vulnerable people. Doctors, nurses and volunteers are true heroes. They put aside their own safety to take care of the public.

To show respect and sincere support to these carers and medical heroes, people in the UK were invited to join a movement called #clapforourcarers. The movement is to applaud these NHS carers from our houses on March 26th. This action was also endorsed by the UK’s prominent celebrity, Victoria Beckham through her Instagram. We only need to go to our balcony or our front door at 8 pm and give applause to the NHS together with other millions of people across the UK.

AS THE MOMENT APPROACHES…..

I was so excited. Since morning, I re-posted the poster on my Instagram as a reminder for my friends in here about this movement. Although this is not the first time in the world, like Italy, Belgium, France, and many more have done this before, however, this is the first time in the UK and the first time for me too!

A quarter to 8, I was ready with my phone. As a former journalist, I was like “Gosh, this is going to be a fantastic moment to record!”

10 minutes to 8, I was texting with my friends in many group chats. We were all so excited to see the moment. My room’s view is the main street. I am so lucky that I can watch the moment and give applause from my window.

HERE COMES THE MOMENT…

Just so you know, my neighbourhood is normally a very quiet environment. My flat is located in the middle of a residence. There was a doubt once in my mind that people around here might not gonna go out to clap.

But a few minutes to 8….

One by one, I started to see people standing by their windows, standing in front of their front doors, their yards. I looked to my right, there were people. Then looked to my left, they were there standing by!

8.00 pm.

“THANK YOUUUU, NHS!!!... WE LOVE YOUUU!!”

“OUR PRAYERS ALWAYS BE WITH YOU DOCTORS AND NURSES!!”

“GOD BLESS YOUUU NHS!!!”

From the distance there was also a shout the giggled me..

“SCREW YOU CORONA!!!”

These loud cheering shouts were echoing together with clamorous applause from the crowd, breaking the silence of one quiet evening on my street. It was not only on my street. The echo was heard throughout the UK. If I were medical staff, I would’ve cried or at least had goosebumps on my skin, listening to how millions of people cheering for me 🙂

Clapping for the NHS!

On Thursdaythe 16th of March, we clapped for everyone working for the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK. They are at the frontline of this battle against COVID-19!

Posted by Link to Leeds on Monday, March 30, 2020

Tonight we clapped for the National Health Service (NHS) to show appreciation for all who are working on the front lines. Leeds clapped loud 🤗👏🏻👏🏼👏🏽👏🏾👏🏿#ClapForOurCarers 💙🤍💙

Posted by Link to Leeds on Thursday, March 26, 2020

Amid the blaring shouts and claps, I was drowning in silence. I was praying may miracle happens and things will get better very soon.

The cheering moment was lasted for around 5 minutes. I wish I could’ve recorded the sound clearly, but the claps were so loud so I could not capture it.

I hope that what the public did would give one BIG push of support to all carers in the world. Our most sincere prayers always be with them. Let them do their professional work, while we do our best to prevent the spread by staying at home and keep physical distancing!