Zumba Master Class with ZES Sandra Liseth Bayliss

Blog

Want to do some exercise but always feel bored when you are jogging, running or cycling? Well, Zumba is probably your thing. On Sunday 24 November 2019, thanks to Annica’s help, Sandra Liseth Bayliss taught a two-hour master class at Riley Smith Hall in Leeds University Union.

This was the second time I have taken a Zumba master class. When I entered into the hall, I was surprised to see so many excited and happy faces. We were all looking forward to the class and could not wait any longer.

As soon as the music began, Sandra showed us how incredible she was, both in terms of her instructing as well as her dancing technique. WOW. Even during the warm up (which is usually just a precursor of the rest of the workout), we all got a taste of her hips rolling around, swaying side to side, and a few grinding movements here and there. You would either want to have her with you at a dance club because she is so good, or you would want to leave her at home because she would show you up, every time! The steps seemed pretty easy during this phase and we just went with the flow happily.

After warming up, Sandra taught several tracks with Annica, Vicente, Mona and Pablo and other volunteers. Annica, Vicente, Mona and Pablo also taught their tracks as well. I had to say that although sometimes I was totally lost in Sandra’s tracks as there were lots of switching and changing up with the positions, twists and turns, it was still a lot of fun. The music was fantastic. All instructors were awesome, bouncing around and spreading their energy, happiness, and enthusiasm around for everyone to enjoy. The energy, the variety of music and the moves made me out of breath sometimes, but I could not help keeping dancing. I was simply happy and such good mood even lasted for several days after the class! It was such a great experience, because I had so much fun while still having such a great workout. I just wanted to say that I loved every minute of it.

I began to take Zumba classes at the Edge (the university gym) four years ago when I came to Leeds for my first MA course. I have to say that my life has been changed in so many ways since I began to take Zumba classes. On a physical level, I'm healthier. The music that the instructor chooses always has the magic to keep me dancing even though I feel tired physically. I don't think I could actually feel more energized after a workout. On a social level, I have met a lot of great people from all walks of life, united by a common interest in dance. Also, on a personal level, I can feel that I’m much more confident now. Taking Zumba classes gives me the courage and confidence to try new things and other sports to keep healthy.

So at last, I just want to say that never say no to Zumba, at least not before giving it a go. You just never know if the rhythm will get you!