6 week Pre-sessional for Undergraduate Study

Blog

After finishing my 6 week pre-sessional course for undergraduate study, I could have confidence for my university life. This is because I was able to know, not only what the academic study is but also how university life is.

In terms of academic study, I did not have any experience to give the academic presentation, discussion or write academic essay. In the pre-sessional, I could have the various type of lessons which focused on each skills such as reading and writing or group presentation. For example, I could learn how to put the references in the essays. Before taking this course, I was thinking if I could take enough score in IELTS, I would be able to write proper essays. But, the academic essay was totally different from IELTS. What I learned in this course helped my study in international foundation year and undergraduate. I did not have to spend my time to study what the academic essay is, and it enables me to move on to the topic directly.

In addition, through the pre-sessional, I could know how to use the library before starting course, and I did not have any difficulty to find the sources in September. Furthermore, I also learned how important independent study is. Before the pre-sessional, I did not think I am going to spend a long time in the library, but I soon realized those private study makes high quality study.

Outside the class, I joined global cafe. Global cafe is held every Monday evening in the university union. Students from any countries can join freely and enjoy chatting together. In the classroom, students talked to each other with the topic which teacher gave. However, I wanted to practice my speaking more in a normal situation. It helped me a lot because I could meet many new friends from different courses or classes, and I could practice my speaking a lot.
In short, the pre-sessional helped my future study a lot.