My top tips for your arrival in Leeds

Coming to study in a different country, far away from home can be quite daunting and so here I have a few tips to help you prepare for your first few weeks in Leeds!

1) I would recommend coming at least a few days or a week before your classes begin. This way you will have enough time to sort out your ID cards, University login, settle into your accommodation and familiarise yourself with the campus and city.

2) It is very fruitful to attend the International Welcome week! Before coming to Leeds, I went through the handbook I received from the university and made myself a schedule for the first week. It is a very useful piece of document and gives you all the information you need for your time here at Leeds! I made sure to attend the orientation talks, campus and city tours and lots of freshers events hosted both by the university and the student union. These gave me a chance to meet so many new people and familiarise myself with the city and the university.

3) I understand it can be a bit difficult to leave the comfort of your home and come live in a new city and make new friends but remember everyone else you meet is probably feeling the same way! So put yourself out there, attend as many events as you can and give it your best!

4) If you wish to open a bank account in Leeds, I would advise you to attend the “Opening a Bank account talk” and then proceed to apply for one soon as it can take some time due to a high number of incoming students!

5) If you plan to do a part time job, make sure you apply for a National Insurance Number soon after you come here. This takes a few weeks to arrive and you cannot do most jobs without one. You can simply google it, call them and apply for it via phone.

I wish you all the very best for your time at Leeds and hope you enjoy the experience to the fullest!